Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 01, 2013

D&C 46

For our "profit and learning" the Lord counseled -

"But notwithstanding those things which are written, it always has been given to the elders of my church from the beginning, and ever shall be, to conduct all meetings as they are directed and guided by the Holy Spirit."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:2)

There are some would suggest that this scripture allows presiding officers, that if they felt directed and guided by the Spirit, that they can move forward without any authorization.  In my mind, this scripture is more in reference to conducting meetings or councils where on having keys or delegated authority have already been authorized to do so.  In my mind, the handbook of instructions and Church policy, is prepared by those having presiding keys and authority that outlines the limits of authority an officer may administer.  I don't believe that the Spirit would authorize, direct, or guide "the elders" to do that which one has not been authorized. 

For example, the handbook of instructions provides some guidelines on how to administer a typical sacrament meeting but may do so with some limits.  Within those limits, we may be directed and guided by the Holy Ghost.  And example of any meeting in the Church would be as in the days of Moroni where -

"...their meetings were conducted by the church after the manner of the workings of the Spirit, and by the power of the Holy Ghost; for as the power of the Holy Ghost led them whether to preach, or to exhort, or to pray, or to supplicate, or to sing, even so it was done."  (Book of Mormon | Moroni 6:9)

This is what I believe is meant in verse 2.