Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

D&C 43

Just a quick note.  Yesterday, I received the great news that I may become a grandfather for the first time.  I can't express the joy I have been feeling.  In my mind, this is a testimony of the Eternal nature of family.  Is it any wonder that the Lord said -

"...I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers..."  (Old Testament  Malachi 4:5 - 6)

Returning to my reading this morning, we again learn that the revealed word of the Lord comes through His presiding Prophet for -

"...I say unto you, that ye have received a commandment for a law unto my church, through him whom I have appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations from my hand.
3 And this ye shall know assuredly—that there is none other appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations until he be taken, if he abide in me."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:2 - 3)

And if by chance it ever came to the point that he did not "abide in me" that -

"...if it be taken from him he shall not have power except to appoint another in his stead."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:4)

Which would suggest to me that if the Prophet was to attempt to govern or direct the Church contrary to the will of God, he would not be allowed to do so, only leaving him power to appoint another.  Thus -

"...this shall be a law unto you, that ye receive not the teachings of any that shall come before you as revelations or commandments;
6 And this I give unto you that you may not be deceived, that you may know they are not of me."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:5 - 6)

In my mind, this would suggest that it is never given to others to say that the Prophet is a fallen prophet and not teaching or revealing the Lord's will.  The Lord will not allow that direction that is contrary to His will.  He then follows with His will concerning the manner of "councils" in the Church which could also apply to families -

"...behold, I give unto you a commandment, that when ye are assembled together ye shall instruct and edify each other, that ye may know how to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given.
9 And thus ye shall become instructed in the law of my church, and be sanctified by that which ye have received, and ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness before me—"  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:8 - 9)

I quote from the current Handbook of Instructions -

"3.3.2 Build Unity and Harmony


The Lord has said, “Be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine” (D&C 38:27). Presiding officers encourage unity by seeking counsel from the men and women who serve with them. Members of presidencies and councils help establish unity by sharing their honest feelings and ideas, communicating clearly, and listening to one another.

When leaders of Church organizations follow their priesthood leaders and when members of presidencies and councils are unified, they can receive guidance from the Holy Ghost and lead according to the Lord’s will."  (Hanbook 2)