Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

D&C 45

As the things that would transpire in the last days were again revealed, the Lord spoke of one those happenings -

"...the love of men shall wax cold, and iniquity shall abound."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:27)

In my mind, love that would wax cold would suggest to me seflishness and personal gratification with little care for family or others.  This seems more and more prevalant as more and more individuals would rather rely on government than individual responsibility.

And in that same day -

"...when the times of the Gentiles is come in, a light shall break forth among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fulness of my gospel;
29 But they receive it not; for they perceive not the light, and they turn their hearts from me because of the precepts of men."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 45:28 - 29)

Obviously in the "times of the Gentiles" (when the gospel will be preached to the gentiles before the Jews), that there will be some that will recognize the light, there are those that wax cold in inquity will not percieve the light of Christ or His Spirit.  What is interesting that is prophecided of such  -

"...in that generation shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating sickness shall cover the land."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 45:30 - 31)

Though there has been much speculation of this desolating sickenss, I  believe it will be darkness, wickedness, hopelessness, misery, and despair where -

"...men's hearts shall fail them..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 45:26)

The only way to overcome this scourge and sickness is for -

"...my disciples shall stand in holy places, and shall not be moved..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 45:32)