Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 21, 2013

D&C 43

In follow up to a previous blog, I noted that officers in the Church are not called in secret for the law stated -

"...that it shall not be given to any one to go forth to preach my gospel, or to build up my church, except he be ordained by some one who has authority, and it is known to the church that he has authority and has been regularly ordained by the heads of the church."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:11)

This is again reinforced -

"...that he that is ordained of me shall come in at the gate and be ordained as I have told you before, to teach those revelations which you have received and shall receive through him whom I have appointed."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:7)

In my mind, this is the purpose of law of common consent.

Of those that are called to "preach my gospel or build up my Church" -

"...Ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit;

16 And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:15 - 16)

Suggesting that time is of the essence and learning and teaching the things of God is of greater importance than learning the philosophies of man.  But to be endowed with the power of the Spirit, we must become sanctified or purified.  Therefore we are commanded -

"...gird up your loins lest ye be found among the wicked."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:19)

Even -

"And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 42:23)

One more thought, upon revealing a portion of the plan of salvation that will take place in the latter days, the Lord instructs us -

"...Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 43:34)