Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 22, 2013

D&C 44

Shortly after receiving His law, the Lord instructed the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...thus saith the Lord unto you my servants, it is expedient in me that the elders of my church should be called together..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 44:1)

The purpose was to hold a conference in June.  It is then that we learn the very purpose of conferences in the Church that -

"...it shall come to pass, that inasmuch as they are faithful, and exercise faith in me, I will pour out my Spirit upon them in the day that they assemble themselves together."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 44:2)

As I began reading the 45th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, my thoughts turned to my mother who has since passed away.  In my mind, my mother was very faithful.  She was a loving companion.  She was the mother of ten children.  Her entire life was dedicated to her family.  Being a stay-at-home mother, she would take on every income producing activity that would allow her to continue to be a loving mother and contribute in a small way to sustain the family.  This seemed to leave her little time such as studying the scriptures, geneology, etc. 

At times I would hear her confess that at times she felt inadequate because she wasn't doing everything she thought she should.  She would say that she worried that she would not be worthy to be with my dad in the end.

That leads to the scripture that I read this morning where the Savior said -

"Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him—
4 Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified;
5 Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 45:3 - 5)

I believe she was more than worthy.  She did the best she could.  What great peace we receive in that we have an advocate on teh day of judgement.  The Lord added -

"Hearken, O ye people of my church, and ye elders listen together, and hear my voice while it is called today, and harden not your hearts..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 45:6)

I believe the secret is not to harden our hearts, but open our hearts and strive to be faithful.