Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 04, 2013

D&C 46

Following the pattern of "in the mouth of two or three witnesses", the Lord reveals in this dispensation -

"...I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given unto the church.
11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:10 - 12)

Remembering so that -

"...ye may not be deceived seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are given;
9 For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:8 - 9)

My thoughts this morning turn to -

"...to some is given, by the Spirit of God, the word of wisdom."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:17)

And then is added -

"To another is given the word of knowledge, that all may be taught to be wise and to have knowledge."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 46:18)

I have read where some intepret these words to mean the gift of wisdom and the gift of knowledge.  Though wisdom and knowledge are gifts of the Holy Ghost, I interpret these verses are combined to suggest the gift of teaching or the "word" of wisdom and knowledge possessing such.  In my mind, wisdom or being wise is the application of knowledge suggesting that wisdom includes knowledge with experience.  In other words, in spiritual terms, possessing great knowledge and obeying the commandments for -

"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  (New Testament | John 7:17)

This is wisdom.