Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 18, 2013

D&C 42

One of the important commandments that was given directly to the Prophet Joseph Smith was to translate the Bible to its original intent and meaning.  We even read that while in Kirtland that it was important enought that  -

"...it is meet that my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., should have a house built, in which to live and translate."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 41:7)

And in this translation, the Lord told the Prophet -

Thou shalt ask, and my scriptures shall be given as I have appointed, and they shall be preserved in safety;
57 nd it is expedient that thou shouldst hold thy peace concerning them, and not teach them until ye have received them in full.
58 And I give unto you a commandment that then ye shall teach them unto all men; for they shall be taught unto all nations, kindreds, tongues and people.
59 hou shalt take the things which thou hast received, which have been given unto thee in my scriptures for a law, to be my law to govern my church..."  (ctrine and Covenants | Section 42:56 - 59)

We know that the Church today does not use this version other than many individual excerpts from this record.  I am not even sure if it was ever completed in its entirety with all the opposition over time.  But I personally believe that it was because of this translation that we received much of the modern revelation we have today in the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.

I'm sure as the Prophet translated the Bible, questions arose, doctrine was pondered, and greater truth was revealed for -

"If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things—that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal."  (octrine and Covenants | Section 42:61)

In this manner "all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people" have been taught.