Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 14, 2013

D&C 42

At the conclusion of Zions camp, the Lord taught -

"Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom; otherwise I cannot receive her unto myself."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:5)

"For he who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 88:22)

In my mind, Zion is living the law of the celestial kingdom on earth.  What is that law?  First we learn simply that -

"...the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."  (Pearl of Great Price  Moses 7:18)

I believe this is the law of the celestial kingdom where -

"...this is Zion—THE PURE IN HEART..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 97:21)

Obviously, one of the conditions that Zion must be built on is that "there was no poor among them".  This is the law of consecration which law was revealed in His "law" or the 42nd section of the Doctrine and Covenants.  Today, I would like to enter an excerpt from a recent talk I gave in many of the wards in my stake -

"As the early saints of this dispensation accepted the gospel, they immediately began to feel this obligation to bless and rescue those around them. In order to better understand their duty, they continued to approach the Prophet Joseph Smith on the matter. In answer to prayer, the Lord revealed –

"...that ye might escape the power of the enemy, and be gathered unto me a righteous people, without spot and blameless—

32 Wherefore, for this cause I gave unto you the commandment that ye should go to the Ohio; and there I will give unto you my law...” (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 38:31 - 32)

Because of this promise that His law would be given, the faithful saints began with great earnest and anticipation to gather to Kirtland, Ohio. As the saints gathered to receive His law, the Lord prefaced His law –

“Hearken, O ye elders of my church whom I have called, behold I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall assemble yourselves together to agree upon my word...” (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:2)

The intent to agree upon his word was not to assemble to debate or argue the efficacy and validity of His law, as may be seen in many other denominations today, but for the expressed purpose to be prepared to hear and accept His law, for if they were willing and prepared, He said –

“...by the prayer of your faith ye shall receive my law...” (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:3)

This was a serious matter. Why were His people commanded to “agree” upon His word or law? He explains –

“...that ye may know how to govern my church [or in other words, how the saints were to participate in His Church so that they would]...have all things right before me.” (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:3)

Again, it was not for the saints to debate or vote on how His Church was to be governed, but rather come to understand the principles associated with governing, administering, and ministering His law. And as these saints gathered to agree upon His word, the Lord specifically warned –

“...ye shall see that my law is kept.” (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:4)

Why? For –

“He that receiveth my law and doeth it, the same is my disciple; and he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you...” (Doctrine and Covenants Section 41:5)

In fulfillment of His promise, the Lord revealed His law in what we now know as the 42nd Section of the Doctrine and Covenants. Amongst many other principles and commandments provided in His law, the Lord instructed –

“If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments.

And behold, thou wilt remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties for their support that which thou hast to impart unto them, with a covenant and a deed which cannot be broken. [much like the covenant made with Abraham]

31 And inasmuch as ye impart of your substance unto the poor, ye will do it unto me..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:30 - 31)

It was within this new revealed law that the Lord used the word consecrate for the first time in modern scripture, or in other words, this would become known as the "law of consecration".

As we search and ponder the scriptures, there are times that single words tend to bring with them a significant meaning that bears testimony of their validity, truth and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  For me, are the words, "...remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties for their support..." The more I reflected on those words, the more a single word seemed to jump off the page. The Lord did not say consecrate they property but rather "properties."

I couldn't help but ask myself, Why wouldn't the Lord just say, "consecrate they property". Doesn't property include all that I own. Could there be a significant meaning with the word "properties"? Referencing the dictionary, I learned that properties could refer to several things –

"a: a quality or trait belonging and especially peculiar to an individual or thing
c : a virtue
d : an attribute..."

And also including of course…

2 a : something owned or possessed; (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

As I read that definition, my thoughts seemed to be drawn to such things as intellectual properties, software properties, the properties like in the periodic table of elements. Each suggesting individual attributes, characteristics, abilities, skills, and resources that something or someone might possess.

I began to reason, would not His law then suggest an obligation or a covenant on our part as disciples to use personal properties; our talents, our personalities, our time, our abilities, our resources, basically everything the Lord has given us or may bless us with to bless the lives of others.

In that the Lord had previously counseled the saints to assemble and agree upon his word or law, I began to wonder as I continued to read the revelations, if there were several of the saints at that time that were also struggling with the meaning of "properties" just as I had. I came to that conclusion because, just a few days later the Lord provided another revelation.

It was at the conclusion of that revelation which seemed to be on a totally different subject matter, that the Lord provided with plainness and clarity, one single instruction that would leave no question concerning His law –

"Behold, I say unto you, [those that may have been confuses] that ye must visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief, that they may be kept until all things may be done according to my law which ye have received." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 44:6)

"Visit the poor and the needy." Visit is an interesting word. I've always thought that to visit was to just have a nice little chat or conversation with someone. My Mom always used to say that she was just visiting when she was gabbing on the phone. But as I read the words of the Savior, I again went to the dictionary to see if there might be another meaning. I was surprised to learn that visit means –

"...to go to see in order to comfort or help..."

In parable the Savior taught this principle of visiting –

"A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him." (New Testament Luke 10:30 - 34)

In the Savior’s parable, the first thing the good Samaritan did was not to pass by on the other side, but that he “went to him” ...in other words, he visited him, he went to him in order to comfort and help.

There is no question this certain man was in need. Being needy would suggest those -

"...being in want : POVERTY-STRICKEN or

...[one] marked by want of affection, attention, or emotional support. (Merriam-Webster)

And then, the words, administering relief, in my mind, would be synonymous to succor, a word that is used much in reference to the Savior. Succor means to "run to the rescue". Again, suggesting our great obligation as covenant and chosen people to visit and succor the poor and needy or in other word, run to their rescue. {end of talk}"

Though much of the following verses might suggest to some that the Lord is referring to land, I would suggest much more as described above.  The Lord then describes the very purpose of the law of consecration -

"...this I do for the salvation of my people."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 42:36)

Or in other words, so the people can abide the law of the celestial kingdom and inherit eternal lives.