Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

D&C 30

With my reading this morning, I have two thoughts I would like to touch on.  First, the Lord again teaches the saints concerning children -

"...that little children are redeemed from the foundation of the world through mine Only Begotten;
47 Wherefore, they cannot sin, for power is not given unto Satan to tempt little children, until they begin to become accountable before me..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 29:46 - 47)

Thus -

"For it is given unto them even as I will, according to mine own pleasure, that great things may be required at the hand of their fathers."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:48)

Suggesting that their is a great obligations for parents to teach their children in preparation for the days they will become accountable.  And then the Lord adds, which has great application to my wife and I in that we have a handicap daughter -

"...I say unto you, that whoso having knowledge, have I not commanded to repent?
50 And he that hath no understanding, it remaineth in me to do according as it is written."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 29:49 - 50)

In my mind, "according as it is written" would be the same as little children.

My second thought has to do with counsel given to Peter Whitmer, Jun.  Peter was given the charge to go with Oliver Cowdery to preach to the Lamanites.  Oliver was the second elder of the Church for -

"...none have I appointed to be his counselor over him in the church, concerning church matters, except it is his brother, Joseph Smith, Jun."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 30:7)

He was Peter's file leader therefore we read -

"...Peter, that you shall take your journey with your brother Oliver; for the time has come that it is expedient in me that you shall open your mouth to declare my gospel; therefore, fear not, but give heed unto the words and advice of your brother, which he shall give you."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 30:5)

Peter was to be diligent in this calling as was to follow the counsel of Oliver, as his file leaders.  And with that, Peter was to -

"...be you afflicted in all his afflictions, ever lifting up your heart unto me in prayer and faith, for his and your deliverance; for I have given unto him power to build up my church..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 30:6)

Where I presently serve as a counselor, I believe this has the same application for me, where I should me where I should pray for my file leader, be diligent and faithful, and be "afflicted in his afflictions".


"Wherefore, give heed unto these things and be diligent in keeping my commandments, and you shall be blessed unto eternal life."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 30:8)