Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

D&C 29

As the Savior outlines the plan of salvation, he shares a doctrinal point for those that seek fame, celebrity status, or power.  In doing so, the Joseph Smith translation of Mark 10:31, where we read in the bible -

"But many that are first shall be last; and the last first."  (New Testament Mark 10:31)

The JST reads -

"...But there are many who make themselves first, that shall be last, and the last first..."  (JST Mark 10:30–31)

Suggesting that when we make ourselves more important or of greater priority the God and godliness, we will be "last" or those that will be on the left hand of the Savior where -

"...the righteous shall be gathered on my right hand unto eternal life; and the wicked on my left hand will I be ashamed to own before the Father..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:27)

With all there worldly power and glory, it is interesting that the Savior declared -

"...never at any time have I declared from mine own mouth that they should return, for where I am they cannot come, for they have no power."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 29:29)

It is interesting that worldly power does not mean or even suggest exalted power for -

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."  (New Testament  Matthew 16:25)

For -

"...If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."  (New Testament   Matthew 16:24)