Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 07, 2011

Mark 8

Last Wednesday and Thursday, I blogged on the evidence that faith is required to perform miracles. As I read this morning, Mark related that as the Savior -

"...cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and besought him to touch him." (New Testament | Mark 8:22)

What is interesting is the manner in which the Savior did minister to him, for -

"...he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town..." (New Testament | Mark 8:23)

The question would seem to arise, why would he lead him out of town? My thoughts are that maybe the Savior just needed to talk with this blind man, maybe in a manner that the man would develop faith in him. And then Mark tells that the Savior -

"...spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought." (New Testament | Mark 8:23)

Again, maybe a method to continue develop the man's faith. What is interesting is that after the Savior inquired of what he saw, the blind man -

"...looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking." (New Testament | Mark 8:24)

It seems evident that the blind man was not fully healed, but partly healed. In my mind, would not this strengthen the man's faith. And then the Savior -

"...put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly." (New Testament | Mark 8:25)

This is the only instance that I am aware of where the Savior seemed to heal in stages. There is no question that the Savior had all power to heal, but I wonder if it had more to do with the blind man's faith in that his faith grew sufficiently in stages.

This may help those that hold the priesthood better understand what may be necessary in the blessing and healing of the sick.