Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 04, 2011

Mark 7

Nephi said that -

"...I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23)

These were my thought this morning as the Savior was confronted by the scribes and Pharisees on the traditions of their day or the "traditions of the elders". In answer to these accusations, the Savior responded -

"...Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." (New Testament | Mark 7:6 - 7)

In our day, it is the political correct speech and actions of men in what we call tolerance. Thus many teach the doctrines and commandments of men -
"Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye." (New Testament | Mark 7:13)

The Savior then taught His disciples -

"...That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man." (New Testament | Mark 7:20 - 23)

I believe there are many in our day, just as the scribes and Pharisees, in an effort to gain and maintain power, do the same by "teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" thus succumbing to the carnal desires of man and increasing their unrighteous source of power.