Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 21, 2011

Matthew 26

The translation of Matthew's record of the introduction of the sacrament was that -

"...Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." (New Testament | Matthew 26:26 - 28)

The Prophet Joseph Smith's translation seems to make more sense -

"...Jesus took bread and brake it, and blessed it, and gave to his disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is in remembrance of my body which I give a ransom for you.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it.
For this is in remembrance of my blood of the new testament, which is shed for as many as shall believe on my name, for the remission of their sins.
And I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall observe to do the things which ye have seen me do, and bear record of me even unto the end." (JST; italics added.)

Some religions believe the translated words of Matthew are literal. But it makes more sense as the purpose is that of remembrance that His body was given as a ransom and His blook for the remission of sins.