Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 28, 2011

Mark 2

Years ago, as I began my business, there was a questions whether my business was properly licensed. I had read the licensing regulation, and felt that I was in compliance as I interpreted the code. As I met with whom was the director in that day, I presented my opinion of interpretation. I will never forget the response from the director as he responded that my interpretation was not what the code meant or intended. As I tended to challenge his response, he bassically said - "Listen, I wrote the regulation, Okay".

I see much the same logic as the scribes and Pharisees questioned the Savior as -

"...there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,
7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?" (New Testament | Mark 2:6 - 7)

And perceiving their thoughts, the Savior said -

"...Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion." (New Testament | Mark 2:8 - 12)

It seemed much the same to me where the Savior's response was, "Listen, I am the law giver, Okay".

Just another thought. With current events of our day, I've witnessed that as man or organizations begin to lose power, they rebel, protest, commit violence or threat, lie, and any resources to keep their position of power. This seemed the case in the Savior's day with the scribes and Pharisees. The end result was increased threats and hatred. Which in the Saviors day, led to His cruxificion. I can almost hear the Lord saying -

"...this thing ought not to be..." (Book of Mormon | Moroni 8:24)

The Lord has taught to those of priesthood power -

"No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—" (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:41 - 42)

The result of this type of true administration, as demonstrated by the Savior, results in -

"...thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:46)