Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daniel 3

Most of us or more than familiar with the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, so I won't go through the entire story. But what seemed to touch my mind this morning was the response of these men when the king said "in his rage and fury" -

"...Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
15 Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace..." (Old Testament | Daniel 3:14 - 15)

Faced with such a potentially catastrophic event, the men answered -

"...O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." (Old Testament | Daniel 3:16 - 18)

It was the words "we are not careful to answer thee in this matter" that caught my attention. Would we not be more faithful servants if we were always ready and willing to answer "we are not careful to answer thee in this matter" when it comes to following the counsel of the Lord.