Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 13, 2010

Stake Conference Experience

With a high probability of success in battle and little time to do it, Joshua prayed -

"...to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." (Old Testament | Joshua 10:12 - 13)

I'm sure there have been skeptics throughout history that I tried in different ways to explain these few words. Nonetheless, I believe it was a miracle.

This past weekend, I experienced a personal miracle or as Nephi explained -
"...the tender mercies of the Lord..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 1:20)

It was our stake conference and I was assigned to speak three different times. In the adult session and general session of conference, I was to speak for 20 minutes. After I prepared and written my talks, it was apparent that with the length of the material, it would extend beyond the allowed 20 minutes. As a matter of note, I have prepared and written enough talks that I know how long it will be generally by the number of pages. In the case of these two talks, they greatly exceeded what 20 minutes would allow. I reviewed the talks over and over looking for ways to delete portions to shorten the talks. But as I did, I continued to feel that these were the words that were to be spoken.

When I felt I could do no more, I went to my knees, reminding the Lord of the miracle when the sun stood still. I pleaded for somewhat of the same blessing. In my case, that the clock would stand still allowing me to present that which I had prepared.

In both sessions, as I was speaking, I would glance at the clock and while doing so, received a personal impression that the clock was being made still. Upon the completion of both talks, each talk landed exactly at the prescribed time of 20 minutes. My prayer was answered.

Some may consider this a coincidence, but to me, it was a miracle.