Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Ezekiel 18

"We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression." (Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:2)

In a age where we hear much about "collective salvation", the word of the Lord came to Ezekiel -

"...all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 18:4)

The Lord explains -

if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right,
6 And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman,
7 And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;
8 He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man,
9 Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 18:5 - 9)

He continues to suggest that if he sins, he shall die. And if his son sins, his son shall die. And if the father is wicked and the son is righteous, the father shall die and the son shall live, for -

"Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.
20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 18:19 - 20)

And with that, Ezekiel teaches the principle of repentance and the atonement saying -

"...if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 18:21 - 22)

"But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 18:24)

Just as Nephi taught -

"...Wherefore, if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 22:31)

On a different matter, much like Jeremiah and Isaiah, Ezekiel prophecied of the latter days and the gathering to stakes of Zion -

"For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.
12 As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.
13 And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.
14 I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.
15 I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord GOD." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 34:11 - 15)

I believe the feeding on high mountains of Israel refers to the temples of the Lord.

"And I will make them and the places round about my hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessing." (Old Testament | Ezekiel 34:26)