Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 09, 2010

Isaiah 49

The Lord said to Isaiah -

"...It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth." (Old Testament | Isaiah 49:6)

In these words, I'm sure the Lord is referring to the Savior, as Paul said to king Agrippa -

"...Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles." (New Testament | Acts 26:23)

But as we study the scriptures, the Savior was not the only one that was to be a light to the gentiles, Paul and Barnabus said -

"...the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles..." (New Testament | Acts 13:47)

The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...blessed are ye if ye continue in my goodness, a light unto the Gentiles, and through this priesthood, a savior unto my people Israel." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 86:11)

And also to all the saints especially recently to the youth -

"...Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 115:5)

I becomes apparent that many of the prophecies could have duel meaning or mean more than one person.