Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Isaiah 29

What is so interesting with the 29th chapter of Isaiah is that Nephi takes the same words and interjects within some of his thoughts, comments, and explanations. What seemed to touch my thoughts this morning as Isaiah speaks to Israelthat -

"...thou shalt be brought down, and shalt speak out of the ground, and thy speech shall be low out of the dust, and thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit, out of the ground, and thy speech shall whisper out of the dust." (Old Testament | Isaiah 29:4)

It seems that whenever there has been the righteous, when revelation has been given, it has been recorded. It seems there has been given great promises to the righteous that their records will be preserved. Enos testified that -

"...I had faith, and I did cry unto God that he would preserve the records; and he covenanted with me that he would bring them forth unto the Lamanites in his own due time." (Book of Mormon | Enos 1:16)

But the same promises are not given to the wicked as Isaiah wrote -

"Moreover the multitude of thy strangers shall be like small dust, and the multitude of the terrible ones shall be as chaff that passeth away..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 29:5)

Isaiah explains why this is so with the wicked in that it -

"...shall be as a dream of a night vision.
8 It shall even be as when an hungry man dreameth, and, behold, he eateth; but he awaketh, and his soul is empty: or as when a thirsty man dreameth, and, behold, he drinketh; but he awaketh, and, behold, he is faint, and his soul hath appetite: so shall the multitude of all the nations be, that fight against mount Zion." (Old Testament | Isaiah 29:7 - 8)

It is only to the righteous that hear the word of God, that is -

"...unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give the mysteries of my kingdom, and the same shall be in him a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:23)

It is the words of the book that came forth, in a sense, out of the ground that will ever satisfy the soul.