Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Isaiah 43

I believe more than any Old Testament writer, Isaiah makes it clear who the Savior really is saying -

"...thus saith the LORD that created thee...Fear not: for I have redeemed thee..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:1)

"...I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:3)

"I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour." (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:11)

"Thus saith the LORD, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:14)

"I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins." (Old Testament | Isaiah 43:25)

"I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee." (Old Testament | Isaiah 44:22)

"Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 44:24)

Make no mistake that Jesus Christ is Jehovah, the Lord, and the God of the Old Testament.

Another thought this morning. President Wilford Woodruff said of the the great redemption work for the dead going on in the temples -

"A large number has already been delivered from the prison house in the spirit world by this people..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Official Declaration 1:16)

Now listen to the words of the Lord to Isaiah -

"I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house." (Old Testament | Isaiah 42:6 - 7)

Some may assume the Lord is talking about earthly prisoners, but I don't believe that is so. I believe the Lord in the days of Isaiah was also focused on redeeming the dead and those that presently sat in darkness in the "prison house", or hell in the world of spirits that had passed on.