Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, August 06, 2010

Isaiah 48

I've blogged previously how it is so apparent that many of the "plain and precious" writings in the Old Testament have been removed or never included. I've always thought it strange that the word baptism is not mentioned in the Old Testament yet John the Baptist was baptizing in Jordan and none of Judah seemed to think the act was strange or unconventional. Isaiah made an interesting comment -

"...O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 48:1)

I seems apparent to me that Isaiah is referring not only to the baptisms taking place in Judah, but also the baptismal covenants or promises made with the ordinance. The Book of Mormon specfically notes -

"...who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 20:1)

Hoyt W. Brewster, Jr. explained -

"This clarifying phrase was added in parentheses to the 1840 edition of the Book of Mormon, which was "Carefully Revised by the Translator" (Joseph Smith). It also appeared in the 1842 edition but was left out of subsequent editions until 1920, when it was added without the parentheses. Most likely it was not part of Isaiah's original text, but was added by a latter-day seer to clarify a phrase understood anciently but not today." (Isaiah Plain and Simple: The Message of Isaiah in the Book of Mormon, Hoyt W. Brewster)