Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, July 26, 2010

Isaiah 22

I am not a bible scholar and cannot necessarily tell you who is who, but in this revelation, I sense that Iasiah is referring to the Savior as he writes -

"...I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house.
24 And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his father's house, the offspring and the issue, all vessels of small quantity, from the vessels of cups, even to all the vessels of flagons.
25 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down, and fall; and the burden that was upon it shall be cut off: for the LORD hath spoken it." (Old Testament | Isaiah 22:20 - 25)

In my mind, Isaiah writes of the atonement as the burden of our transgressions are placed on His shoulders. I Isaiah seems to suggest His glory to be his offspring or His seed or as he would later write -

"...who shall declare his generation?" (Old Testament | Isaiah 53:8)

As we contemplate the atonement, Isaiah also wrote of those that had passed on -

"...it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth.
22 And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited." (Old Testament | Isaiah 24:21 - 22)

The works of the Savior did not immediately end on the cross. Isaiah understood that those that had passed on where in a "spirit prison" and were thus visited by the Savior, as we now have a full record of the visit by revelation received by Joseph F. Smith provided in the 138th section of the Doctrine and Covenants.