Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Isaiah 8

The Lord said to Isaiah -

"For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying,
12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:11 - 12)

One of the definitions of confederacy is -

"a combination of persons for unlawful purposes" (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

...or a conspiracy. Confederacy might also mean and alliance or a league or compact for mutual support or common action. I couldn't help but think of the politics of our day with alliances for mutual gain and support even to the point of "secret combinations" like those of old. It appears that what is taking place in our day in political circles was the same as in the days of Isaiah. The Lord counsels Isaiah -

"...neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid.
13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
14 And he shall be for a sanctuary..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:12 - 14)

Isaiah later wrote of those that fear the Lord -

"...all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
14 In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee." (Old Testament | Isaiah 54:13 - 14)