Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Isaiah 7

As Isaiah comes to warn Ahaz that it is the will of the Lord that he does not join a confederacy with Syria or Israel, he says to Ahaz -

"Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above." (Old Testament | Isaiah 7:11)

In my mind, Ahaz has an opportunity of a lifetime, but because of lack of faith and his own reliance on the "arm of flesh", he couldn't bring himself to do so but instead answers -

"...I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD." (Old Testament | Isaiah 7:12)

I doubt there was any righteousness to his response when he suggested that he would not tempt the Lord. I sense he just didn't want to admit the Lord was more powerful than he. Some might think that this would have been inappropriate for Ahaz to ask for a sign, but the Lord has taught that -

"signs come by faith, not by the will of men, nor as they please, but by the will of God." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:10)

It is apparent that in this case, it was the wil of the Lord to show a sign. Because of Ahaz's lack of faith, by revelation, Isaiah still gives a sign. In this case a sign to all mankind -

"Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." (Old Testament | Isaiah 7:14)

Immanuel meaning "God be with us". In may opinion the following words -

"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good." (Old Testament | Isaiah 7:15)

...would suggest that this son would not be amongst the noble or wealthy. In my mind, butter and honey would suggest those of limited resources having to live off the land and the milk of farming animals. Isaiah also tells Ahaz that this event will be a future event saying -

"...before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings." (Old Testament | Isaiah 7:16)

Another wonderful testimony of the coming of the Son of God that was not lost or removed with the writings of Isaiah.