Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Isaiah 5

Isaiah wrote of the anguish and grief of those with a baggage of sin saying -

"Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 5:18)

Isaiah paints of picture of the burden of sin is felt by an individual comparing the loads even to that of an animal. Lehi used a similar analogy in warning his family -

"O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 1:13)

Cain refered to the burden of sin -

"...my punishment is greater than I can bear." (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 5:38)

David prayed concerning his burden -

"I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." (Old Testament | Psalms 51:3)

And even Alma said to his son Helaman -

"...was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul." (Book of Mormon | Alma 36:16)

Cords of vanity, a cart rope, and even the chains of hell should be clear enough to describe the great burden of sin if we do not repent.