Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, July 02, 2010

Isaiah 6

Though I consider myself no Isaiah, I could relate in a small manner to Isaiah as he records that -

"...I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me." (Old Testament | Isaiah 6:8)

Much like many in the Church, Isaiah received a call from the Lord and was willing to aceept and serve Him or in other words "here am I, send me", with the reminder -

"...whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

Isaiah shares his thoughts and feelings as he writes -

"...Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 6:5)

Isaiah is not saying he is a wicked man but acknowledges that he has weaknesses and had made mistakes. When he says "woe is me" and that "I am undone" suggests that he feels he is unqualified and somewhat unworthy. I can remember the call I received for my present calling. There was no question in my mind that I was unqualified and in anguish and disstress, I exclaimed to myself "woe is me". I'm sure I am not the only one that has felt that way. We receive comfort from President Monson with his words -

"...Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies." (Duty Calls, MMay Ensign, 1996)

We see the evidence of that as Isaiah then relates -


"Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:
7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged." (Old Testament | Isaiah 6:6 - 7)

We must understand that as we demonstrate faith and humility, it is the Lord that purifies, sanctifies, and qualifies us in our service and callings. In the past five years, I have found that to be so true.