Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Isaiah 1

As I begin my study of Isaiah, I remember the words of Nephi -

"Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 6:5)

Among all that Nephi could have written, he chose to write many of the words of Isaiah. In other words, the words of Isaiah are pleasing unto God. Jacob wrote -

"...I cannot write but a little of my words, because of the difficulty of engraving our words upon plates..." (Book of Mormon | Jacob 4:1)

It is interesting that with all this difficulty, Nephi chose to write the words of Isaiah. The Savior Himself said of these words -

"...I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah." (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 23:1)

They are important to us as Nephi wrote -

"...in the days that the prophecies of Isaiah shall be fulfilled men shall know of a surety, at the times when they shall come to pass.
8 Wherefore, they are of worth unto the children of men, and he that supposeth that they are not, unto them will I speak particularly, and confine the words unto mine own people; for I know that they shall be of great worth unto them in the last days; for in that day shall they understand them; wherefore, for their good have I written them." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 25:7 - 8)

There is a tendency for many of the saints to skim or skip over the words of Isaiah because of their difficulty to understand. I am going to make a little bit more conscientious focus on the words Isaiah as I read the Old Testament.