Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 25, 2010

Isaiah 1

It is well established that Isaiah speaks not only to the people of his day, but also to those in the meridian of time, and in the last days. Somethimes to all three in the same verse. I personally believe that most of his words are applicable to all men. Nephi said of his ministry -


"...that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23)

In other words, we should liken all the words of Isaiah to ourselves. In Isaiah's day, the children of Israel continued to outwardly live the ordinances of the Law of Moses. But the law of Moses was only given to keep the people focused on the way they should go and in keeping the commandments. Isaiah said to a wicked generation -

"To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats." (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:11)

Of such he continues -

"Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting." (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:13)

Of this perversion of worship, the Lord said -

"...when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood." (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:15)

In other words, our sacrifices and outward ordinances are meaningless unless we internall have faith and keep the commandments of the Lord. Even many years hence, Isaiah taught the gospel of Jesus Christ -

"Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land..."
(Old Testament | Isaiah 1:16 - 19)

Do not these same principles hold today. How can any of faith deny the gospel as taught by Isaiah? Not all will be saved but those who have faith in Christ and keep his commandments for -

"Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness." (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:27)