Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Isaiah 4

Of the last days, Isaiah wrote the -

"...the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence." (Old Testament | Isaiah 4:5)

The scriptural headings suggests that "in that day" is the millenium era and "dwelling place" refer to home and "assemblies" refer to houses of worship. But I personally had a little bit different impression of this writing.

I perceived that last days as the days wherein we now live. And that the filth is even being washed away in our day as the saints repent and come to "Zion". In my mind, Isaiah is suggesting that the Lord will create dwelling places for Mount Zion or in other words, locations or dwelling places throughout the world where His temples will be constructed and reside. Wherein His saints my assemble as a defense to the temptations of the world.

It seems that much of the writings of Isaiah are symbolic, not actual. There is no question that the symbolic nature of a clould or even smoke typically covers what is going on beyond not allowing light to penetrate beyond the smoke or cloud. It is within the temples that light and knowledge and a great endowment is given. The walls of the temple limit the world to see or experience the light that is within. In a sense, without a temple recommend, to the world, the temple walls are a cloud or smoke with no transparency. I wonder if Isaiah alos saw the Houses of the Lord in our day in the evening. How else would a prophet in that day describe this vision other than "the shining of a flaming fire by night".