Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Isaiah 11

The 11th chapter of Isaiah has been difficult for me to understand. But yet I know it has great importance for in his initial visits with the Prophet Joseph Smith, Moroni -

"...quoted the eleventh chapter of Isaiah, saying that it was about to be fulfilled." (Pearl of Great Price | JS-History 1:40)

I am aware of several of the interpretations of this revelation revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith in the 113th section of the Doctrine and Covenants wherein the questions are asked -


"What is the rod spoken of in the first verse of the 11th chapter of Isaiah, that should come of the Stem of Jesse?
4 Behold, thus saith the Lord: It is a servant in the hands of Christ, who is partly a descendant of Jesse as well as of Ephraim, or of the house of Joseph, on whom there is laid much power.
5 What is the root of Jesse spoken of in the 10th verse of the 11th chapter?
6 Behold, thus saith the Lord, it is a descendant of Jesse, as well as of Joseph, unto whom rightly belongs the priesthood, and the keys of the kingdom, for an ensign, and for the gathering of my people in the last days." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 113:3 - 6)

It almost seems like the "rod spoken of" and "the root of Jesse" is the same person. It could easily be or it may not be. In any case, they are individuals to which priesthood keys have been restore. In my mind, "the rod" represents one with great power that is used as a tool of the Savior to establish the law and/or justice or as I see it, revealed truth.

Where I have had trouble in the past is the root of Jesse. It dawned on me this morning that this root may not be the core root of the Stem of Jesse. I began picturing in my mind many of the trees in my area. The main core roots tend to send out outreaching roots that tend to spring new tree shoots. A new tree may even be a result of a mixture of tree shoots.

I don't know the methods of growth of trees in the region in the days of Isaiah, but I wonder if the root of Jesse and root of Joseph could be the Prophet Joseph Smith where his ancestors would be through both lines which would explain what Moroni said was just about going to be fulfilled. Just speculating.