Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, April 02, 2010

1 Samuel 15

Saul was commanded of the Lord -

"...go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 15:3)

The commandment of the Lord was very clear, but as Saul did so -

"...Saul and the people spared Agag, and the best of the sheep, and of the oxen, and of the fatlings, and the lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them: but every thing that was vile and refuse, that they destroyed utterly." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 15:9)

He justified his disobedience by rationalizing that he coudl us the best as a sacrifice to the Lord. But the Lord does not want sacrifice as much as he wants obedience as Samuel said -

"...to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 15:22)

I believe many in our day do the same in suggesting there charity or sacrifice more than justifies their obedience and behavior.