Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ruth 1

Though many may consider the story of Ruth to be one of loyalty and love, what I sensed this morning was a story of a true convert. When and how it happened, we are not told. But at some point, Ruth was converted to the true faith, even declaring to her mother-in-law -

"...for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God..." (Old Testament | Ruth 1:16)

I believe Ruth was willing to give up all, home, family to be true to the faith she had converted to. Even Boaz recognize this sincere converstion as he tells her -

"...It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore.
12 The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust." (Old Testament | Ruth 2:11 - 12)

Her conversion is apparent as she had come to trust the Lord. Because of her example, her great grandson would someday write -

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Old Testament | Proverbs 3:5 - 6)