Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Judges 16

As a Nazarite, Samson had made special covenants to the Lord. The Lord takes serious the covenants that He makes with us for He will not be mocked. Samson was blessed with many gifts including the gift of strength, but in personal weakness he failed to keep his covenants when he was seduced by Delilah as -

"...he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man." (Old Testament | Judges 16:17)

The consequence was great with this serious violation of his covenants. He lost his gift, had his eyes put out, and was placed in prison. It seems the Lord extended mercy to him allowing his strength to return as -

"...Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.
29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left.
30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life." (Old Testament | Judges 16:28 - 30)

As I read the story of Samson, what came to my mind was the writings of Alma as Korihor was run over and trodden down until he died -

"...and thus we see that the devil will not support his children at the last day..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 30:60)