Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 22, 2010

Judges 6

As the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon as he was in hiding threshing wheat for food, Gideon asked a very interesting question -

"Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us?..." (Old Testament | Judges 6:13)

He continues to inquire -

"...where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites." (Old Testament | Judges 6:13)

From these questions, I sense Gideon to be very humble and one that has studied the teachings of the prophets. Much like Joseph Smith had been troubled with the teachings of the different denominations, Gideon seemed to have been troubled with the manner many of his relatives and associates were living and how this compared to his ancestors. It is obvious Gideon had pondered the miracles of the past now being captivity. We are reminded -

"For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them..." (Book of Mormon | Ether 12:12)

Gideon demonstrated great faith following the instructions of the Lord to destroy the alter of Baal, as a result, other miracles were shown to him including the miracle of the dew and fleece.

And finally, in preparation for one the greatest demonstrations of faith and miracle, the Lord instructed Gideon -

The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me." (Old Testament | Judges 7:2)

So the Lord reduced the army of Israel from 32,000 to 300 and by stratagem, wond the battle.

Had miracles really ceased amongst Israel? Moroni taught -

"..if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
20 And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust." (Book of Mormon | Mormon 9:19 - 20)