Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Joshua 24

As Joshua painted a picture of all that the Lord had done for the children of Israel, like Moses, he emphasizes that we still have are agency to chooses to follow the Lord saying -

"...choose you this day whom ye will serve..." (Old Testament | Joshua 24:15)

"...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Old Testament | Joshua 24:15)

His people, remembering all the Lord had done, also declared -

"...God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods..." (Old Testament | Joshua 24:16)

"...but we will serve the LORD." (Old Testament | Joshua 24:21)

Joshua then basically declares a blessing and curse. If they serve the Lord, they will be blessed. If they serve other Gods, they will be cursed. Lehi taught -

"Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:27)

When we choose to serve God, we become Zion. Nephi described it with his people as -

"...we lived after the manner of happiness." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 5:27)