Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 29, 2010

1 Samuel 8

As I read the Old Testament, so many of the stories seem current to our day. As Samuel and his sons judged the people (the sons did so unrighteously by takeing bribes and perverting judgement), the people came to Samuel saying -

"Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 8:5)

It was the desire to be "like all the nations" that seemed to jump out at me this morning. The people had turned from the judgements of the Lord and His prophet to becoming like other ungodly nations. The Lord even said to Samuel -

"Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them." (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 8:7)

It seems the people of our day have rejected the scriptures, His prophets, and therefore God. The people of our day at times seem to want to become like other nations.