Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 19, 2010

Judges 2

We read of the people of Joshua -

"...the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel." (Old Testament | Judges 2:7)

But what I find interesting is that -

"...there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel." (Old Testament | Judges 2:10)

Why was this so?

It was the same in the Americas as we read -

"...that there were many of the rising generation that could not understand the words of king Benjamin, being little children at the time he spake unto his people; and they did not believe the tradition of their fathers." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:1)

Even -

"...because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 26:3)

It seems that the example and the teachings of the the parents has the greatest impact on the rising generation. Though parents cannot force the children to believe, they can teach and be good examples. We are taught -

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Old Testament | Proverbs 22:6)

I think the greatest teaching device is example. Our children must know that we love the Lord first and foremost.