Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 12, 2009

D&C 63

As the saints in Kirtland were anxious in receiving continual revelation on any subject concerning their salvation, the Lord said -

"HEARKEN, O ye people, and open your hearts and give ear from afar; and listen, you that call yourselves the people of the Lord, and hear the word of the Lord and his will concerning you."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:1)

The emphasis seemed to be "his will concerning" them.  Speaking of Himself, He continued -

"Who willeth to take even them whom he will take, and preserveth in life them whom he will preserve;
4 Who buildeth up at his own will and pleasure; and destroyeth when he pleases..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:3 - 4)

And His will is -

"Behold, I, the Lord, utter my voice, and it shall be obeyed."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:5)

And as He teaches concerning those that seek a sign, He says -

"...signs come by faith, not by the will of men, nor as they please, but by the will of God."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:10)

Just because we have faith in an outcome is not the issue.  We must have faith in Jesus Christ, according to the outcome of his will, to be true faith for -

"...behold, faith cometh not by signs, but signs follow those that believe."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:9)

To believe, one must accept the will of God over ones own will.  The Lord promises -

"...he that endureth in faith and doeth my will, the same shall overcome..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:20)

And -

"...unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give the mysteries of my kingdom, and the same shall be in him a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life.
24 And now, behold, this is the will of the Lord your God concerning his saints..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 63:23 - 24)