Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

D&C 60

As a group of elders were following the commandment of the Lord -

"...Let there be a craft made, or bought, as seemeth you good, it mattereth not unto me, and take your journey speedily for the place which is called St. Louis.
6 And from thence let my servants, Sidney Rigdon, Joseph Smith, Jun., and Oliver Cowdery, take their journey for Cincinnati..."  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 60:5 - 6)
 
I'm sure that as the Prophet with a group of elders made there way to St. Louis, the Spirit wrought upon the Prophet's mind whereby it was revealed -
 
"...it is not needful for this whole company of mine elders to be moving swiftly upon the waters, whilst the inhabitants on either side are perishing in unbelief."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 61:3)
 
My thoughts this morning is that much of the Lord's commandments is the goal or that which we desire to achieve.  In this instruction you sense the Lord is now teaching that is our haste, we may be losing focus of the process and the blessings that could be acquired by doing so.  As we go about our day to day chores and responsibilities, we should be mindful that the Lord had instructed his priesthood -
 
"...let them lift up their voice and declare my word with loud voices, without wrath or doubting, lifting up holy hands upon them. For I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 60:7)
 
For -
 
"...with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man. Wo unto such, for mine anger is kindled against them."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 60:2)
 
President Joseph Fielding Smith said -
 
"It is true that not every man is a natural missionary, and there are those who shrink from the responsibility of raising their voices in proclamation of the Gospel, and yet this is an obligation that we owe to this fallen world. The elders in the very beginning had been commanded to serve the Lord with all their 'heart, might, mind and strength' [Sec. 4:2], for the field is white and ready for the harvest. A penalty was to be inflicted upon those who failed and they were not to stand blameless at the last day. The preaching of the Gospel was to be a means to them by which they were not to perish, but bring salvation to their souls. There are many who have been sent forth who have had a fear of man, yet the Lord has promised to support them in their labors if they will trust in him." (Joseph Fielding Smith, CHMR 1:203-4.)