Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 17, 2005

2 Nephi 33 - Jacob 3

As I have studied the scriptures, I have found that many of the truths that are taught by the Savior and/or his servants in individual verses are not necessarily complete of and with all necessary conditions . And example would be in regards to conditions required to receive answers to prayers -

"....ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27:29)

In other scriptures we read -

"...Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 7:26)

"...Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:64)

"...whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 4:21)

The reader of the scriptures must many times read all related scripture to come to an understanding of the full doctrine. I discovered in my reading today another condition associated with receiving the comfort from the Lord. The Lord said to his apostles shortly before his cruxifion -

"...Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid..." (New Testament John 14:27)

Alma also taught that the Savior -

"...shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." (Book of Mormon Alma 7:11 - 12)

"...Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (New Testament Matthew 11:28 - 30)

The Lord promises us peace, rest, and succor to those experiencing adversity, but prophet, suggests another necessary condition in receiving these blessings -

'...behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.
2 O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever." (Book of Mormon Jacob 3:1 - 2)
And he finishes with -

"...But, wo, wo, unto you that are not pure in heart... " (Book of Mormon Jacob 3:3)

It seems then to me then to recieve help with tribulations, the Lord has placed the burden having a pure heart on the receipient who desires his help.