Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

2 Nephi 4 - 5

After the passing of Lehi, Nephi continued to have conflicts with his brothers to the point that -

"...the Lord did warn me, that I, Nephi, should depart from them and flee into the wilderness, and all those who would go with me.
6 Wherefore, it came to pass that I, Nephi, did take my family, and also Zoram and his family, and Sam, mine elder brother and his family, and Jacob and Joseph, my younger brethren, and also my sisters, and all those who would go with me. And all those who would go with me were those who believed in the warnings and the revelations of God; wherefore, they did hearken unto my words.
7 And we did take our tents and whatsoever things were possible for us, and did journey in the wilderness for the space of many days. And after we had journeyed for the space of many days we did pitch our tents.
8 And my people would that we should call the name of the place Nephi; wherefore, we did call it Nephi." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 5:5 - 8)

And they -

"...began to prosper exceedingly, and to multiply in the land." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 5:13)

all because they -

"...lived after the manner of happiness." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 5:27)

What is the manner of happinees. In a previous chapter, Nephi shares some of his feelings which gives us some insight on how to live after the manner of happiness -

"... my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:15)

"...my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:16)

"...he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night–time.
24 And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.
25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:23 - 25)

"...I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:35)

"...O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:34)

"...O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul?...Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?" (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:31)

"...wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness!...Wilt thou make my path straight before me..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:33)

Living in the manner of happiness seems to include such things as reading and pondering the words of Christ, regular and constant prayer, and choosing the right or in other words doing the will of the Lord and keeping the commandments. As Nephi lived in the manner of happiness, he tells us the Lord -

"...hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:21)

This is happiness! Not as the world my think of happiness, for as Alma taught his son, Corianton -

"...wickedness never was happiness..." (Book of Mormon Alma 41:10)