Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, November 04, 2005

1 Nephi 18 - 19

Several years ago I served as the stake PFR. Among our stake physical facilities is a mountain recreational property that was developed in the 70's. It typically has been used annually by 7 - 8 stake girls camps as well as multiple ward, stake, and family activities. On the property is a spring head that not only provides water to all the campsites on the property but also three similar adjacent properties.

Shortly after I was called to serve in this position, I received a professional report summarizing that the water was contaminated with ecoli caused by the current water collection sytems, their was inadequate storage of water, and more water should be collected to supply the needs of the four recreational properties. The report mentioned that there were three available spring heads in the small collection area, and only two were actually being used for collection.

I was very interested in seeing how the spring water was collected. I had never had any experience with spring water systems or ever seen a collection system design. When I first visited the site, it quickly became apparent to me why there was problems with contamination. Any surface water could easily get into the system, and I later learned that any plant roots could also lead to water contamination.

With my new calling I somewhat felt a big responsibility and burden for the quality of drinking water that serviced all the camps. One day, as I was thinking about the demands suggested in the water engineers report, I started to think about what I would do to the spring head to the report requirements. And then suddenly, the design of a collection system began to flow in myu mind. In a short time the entire design was on paper. I presented it to a member of the stake counselor and I told him that I thought it would work and I thought I could make it happen. I even had ideas on how the project could be funded.

As I look back, I am surprised that he agreed to let me do it. It really was a big risk in that it would require the existing system to be completely torn out and demolished. Even now, I look back and wonder why I did it in the first place - but I did. The actual work had its problems and I spent a great deal of time on my knees asking for the Lord's help. And at its completion, to my surprise, it worked great and still does as it taps all the spring heads, collects all the water and holds an additional 3000 gallons of water. It has tested clean when the actual spring water aquifer itself is clean.

I was so excited as it worked so well, I couldn't help but take different leaders up to the spring head to show it off. I have to confess, I started to feel a great deal of pride, as I reflected on "my" design - until I read Nephi's story on building a boat. He relates that they -

"had been in the land of Bountiful for the space of many days, the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying: Arise, and get thee into the mountain. And it came to pass that I arose and went up into the mountain, and cried unto the Lord.
8 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee, that I may carry thy people across these waters." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:7 - 8)

Nephi may not have had any idea how to build a boat, but he did have some experience in using his hands for he asked the Lord -

"...whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:9)

He simply tells us -

"And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:10)

The words "And it came to pass" does not suggest an immediate answer, but little by little. So Nephi did -

did make a bellows wherewith to blow the fire, of the skins of beasts; and after I had made a bellows, that I might have wherewith to blow the fire, I did smite two stones together that I might make fire...I did make tools of the ore which I did molten out of the rock." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:11 - 16)

And he -

"...did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men...and I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord; wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things.
4 And it came to pass that after I had finished the ship, according to the word of the Lord, my brethren beheld that it was good, and that the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 18:2 - 4)

As I have pondered these versus previously, I have gained new insight of Nephi and his experience in building a ship. Though the magnitude of my experience was far less than Nephi, I'm not sure that the type communication with the Lord described by Nephi was much different.

One of my favorite movies is the christmas movie "The Miracle on 34th Street". At the conclusion when John Payne is feeling quite proud of his success getting the courts to recognize his client as Santa Claus, he sees a cane in the corner of a room, and he comments, something like, "maybe I didn't do such a great thing after all". I since have felt the same way and I'm sure Nephi did too, knowing that it was the Lord that really did it. We were just instruments in his hand.