Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

2 Nephi 20 - 24

Throughout the scriptures we see man serving as the instrument for God in accomplishing his will and purposes. We see this as righteous men obey his counsel and do much good to their own benefit. We also see this as "natural man" or those of the world cause destruction to their own condemnation.

Because they continue to worship idols, Isaiah prophecies of the pending destruction and bondage of Israel and how that would be done by Assyria -

"O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is their indignation.
6 I will send him against a hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 20:5 - 6)

We see the Lord's purpose is in the chastisement of Israel because of the covenants that he had made. And he accomplishes this with the King of Assyria who doesn't necessarily know he is being an instrument in God's hand as Isaiah says -

" Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but in his heart it is to destroy and cut off nations not a few." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 20:7)

And he thinks his success will all be because of himself -

"For he saith: By the strength of my hand and by my wisdom I have done these things..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 20:13)

It is in the Lord's words that teaches both the righteous and the wicked a great lesson -

"Shall the ax boast itself against him that heweth therewith? Shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? As if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself as if it were no wood!" (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 20:15)

It is important that those that serve God and are so blessed to be instruments in God's hands must be humble in recognizing they are only, in a sense, the ax, the saw, the rod, or the tool itself and the controlling force behind it, for

"...in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:21)

It is Ammon that gives us the great insight we should have as we serve God -

"I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things..." (Book of Mormon Alma 26:11 - 12)

"...And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work." (Book of Mormon Alma 26:3)