Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

D&C 107

As I read this morning, my mind seemed somewhat enlightened in regards to priesthood "keys". What seemed to enlighten my understanding was that there are two types of priesthood keys. I write this with some hesitation in that this may not necessarily be correct doctrine, it is only what enlightened my mind this morning.

It has always been my understanding that priesthood keys are the rights to preside, the rights of presidency, the rights of control of all priesthood ordinances & confirmations, the rights to govern, etc. What this means to me is there is one who, for a period, has been given such authority or "keys" that all administration relating to God's kingdom on earth, or portion there assigned, controls all approvals and permissions therein. In other words, he who holds the keys is in charge and holds all responsibilities to the same. This being the case, it is the keys we honor, not necessarily the person.

The second type is that which I seemed to touch me this morning. Having previously a personal understanding that priesthood keys were only related to the rights to preside in the priesthood, I assumed that those who held the Melchizedek Priesthood or were after this order of the priesthood did not hold priesthood keys, only rights, powers, and authorities related to that order. And then I read -

"...The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:18 - 19)

That is by definition that the "power and authority of the ...Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church..." This definition being the second type of priesthood keys. That is, not keys of presidency, but keys to unlock and administer in spiritual things.

All who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood possesses these keys having the rights, powers, and authorities to administer spiritual blessings, receive knowledge, and commune with our Father and his son.

The same type of priesthood keys applies to the Aaronic Priesthood -

"...The power and authority of the lesser, or Aaronic Priesthood, is to hold the keys of the ministering of angels..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:20) From this I understand that all who are of this appendage of power and authority hold the keys of the ministering of angels.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the entry, this may not necessarily be doctrine. It is only the thoughts that came to my mind as I studied the scriptures this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home