Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, May 09, 2005

D&C 98

At the time this revelation was received, the saints were experiencing a great deal of persecution in Missouri. The nature of man is to defend itself and then retaliate. In this somewhat lawless state, the Lord revealed to the Prophet that the -

"...law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.
6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the aconstitutional law of the land" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:5 - 6)

When lawlessness is apparent, there is a tendency to take the law and justice into your own hands, but the Lord counseled -

"I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:8)

Knowing that "...when the wicked rule the people mourn." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:9), the saints are admonished to follow the law of the land and that "honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold"
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:10)

I personally note the Lord's counsel of "honest men" being one of key importance in representation. He doesn't say anything about party or affilitation. He only mentions "honest and wise men". "Wise men" to me is one that believes and follows the counsel of the Lord.

"...Therefore, renounce war and proclaim peace, and seek diligently to turn the hearts of the children to their fathers, and the hearts of the fathers to the children" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:16) It is in turning the hearts to the family that the world will find peace.

But the Lord acknowledges there is a time for war -

"...this is the law that I gave unto mine ancients, that they should not go out unto battle against any nation, kindred, tongue, or people, save I, the Lord, commanded them.
34 And if any nation, tongue, or people should proclaim war against them, they should first lift a standard of peace unto that people, nation, or tongue;
35 And if that people did not accept the offering of peace, neither the second nor the third time, they should bring these testimonies before the Lord;
36 Then I, the Lord, would give unto them a commandment, and justify them in going out to battle against that nation, tongue, or people.
37 And I, the Lord, would fight their battles, and their children's battles, and their children's children's, until they had avenged themselves on all their enemies, to the third and fourth generation.
38 Behold, this is an ensample unto all people, saith the Lord your God, for justification before me. " (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:33 - 38)

But even then, the Lord commands his people -

"...if after thine enemy has come upon thee ... he repent and come unto thee praying thy forgiveness, thou shalt forgive him, and shalt hold it no more as a testimony against thine enemy— (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:39)

"...I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:10)

And seeing the big picture, the Lord said -

"...my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;
2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.
3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:1 - 3)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home