Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 13, 2005

D&C 103 - 104

We know that great promises were given to the saints that settled Zion. But by the beginning of 1834, the saints at Zion had experienced a great deal of persecution and abuse. At the time of this revelation, many had been scattered and properties lost. I'm sure many hoped the Lord would would immediately retaliate against their persecutors. But instead they received these hard words -

"... [that] those who call themselves after my name might be chastened for a little season with a sore and grievous chastisement, because they did not hearken altogether unto the precepts and commandments which I gave unto them." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:4)

In other words it seems the Lord is saying - if they were doing what they were suppose to be doing, this wouldn't have happened. The Lord doesn't excuse the persecutors either in that he said of his people and their persecutors -

"Being driven and smitten by the hands of mine enemies, on whom I will pour out my wrath without measure..."

He then explains when and why -

"...in mine own time.
3 For I have suffered them thus far, that they might fill up the measure of their iniquities, that their cup might be full;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:2 - 3) The Lord always seems to be patient by allowing a sufficient period of time for people to repent and change their ways before he displays his full wrath.

And if his people will do what they are suppose to do, he says -

"...I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize, inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
6 Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour.
7 And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:5 - 7)

"For they were set to be a light unto the world, and to be the saviors of men;"
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:9)

And then he delivers this great promise -

"...I have decreed that your brethren which have been scattered shall return to the lands of their inheritances, and shall build up the waste places of Zion.
12 For after much tribulation, as I have said unto you in a former commandment, cometh the blessing.
13 Behold, this is the blessing which I have promised after your tribulations, and the tribulations of your brethren—your redemption, and the redemption of your brethren, even their restoration to the land of Zion, to be established, no more to be thrown down." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:11 - 13)

But the promises is a conditional promise -

"But inasmuch as they keep not my commandments, and hearken not to observe all my words, the kingdoms of the world shall prevail against them." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:8)

"And inasmuch as they are not the saviors of men, they are as salt that has lost its savor, and is thenceforth good for nothing but to be cast out and trodden under foot of men."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:10)

I'm sure many of the saints yesterday and today question why all the promises related to Zion were not immediately fulfilled in their day nor as of yet been fulfilled in our day. Didn't the Lord say -

"...inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I... shall give..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:5)

As I reviewed recently some home teaching reports, I've come to understand a little bit better why the promises as of yet have not been fulfilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home