Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

D&C 99 - 100

It appears the revelation known as the 100th section of the Doctrince and Covenants came as a result of the concerns of the Prophet and Sidney Rigdon for their families. The Prophet and Sidney were away from home and proscelyting in New York. In a day when there was no readily available means of immediate communication, I can picture these two brethren on their knees pleading for the provisions and safety of their families. In answer to their prayers, the Lord said -

"...my friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 100:1)

The power of the statement must have brought a great deal of comfort. I know - I had a similar experience while my son was serving his mission in Brazil. At the time, emailing was not allowed. Written letters was our only means of communication. It would take about three weeks for the letters to be delivered to my son and another three weeks to get a response. A month and a half was a long time to wait for an specific inquiry or concern.

Their was a time during his mission that I knew he was struggling with a personal issue that I knew of whcih he was greatly concerned. In addition, Terri and I were worried about his health and safety living in a foreign country where he was physically unaccustomed and could easily be singled out by robbers or predators.

I too knelt many hours in prayer regarding these matters probably in a similar manner as the Prophet Joseph Smith. It was while in personal prayer early one morning expressing my concerns for my son that I too received a very similar personal revelation. As I pleaded for his care, a comforting voice came into my mind and distinctly said, "I am". It came with such impact that I knelt for sometime emotionally overwhelmed. From that point on, even though I continued to prayer daily for my son, I never doubted that he was being taken care of.

It is interesting how single verses of scripture can bring such great insite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home