Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, May 16, 2005

D&C 105 - 106

After the Prophet had met with Parley P. Pratt and Lyman Wight regarding the scattering and persecution of the saints in Missouri, the Lord said -

"...I will give unto you a revelation and commandment, that you may know how to act in the discharge of your duties concerning the salvation and redemption of your brethren, who have been scattered on the land of Zion;
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:1)

"...let my servant Joseph Smith, Jun. say unto the strength of my house, my young men and the middle aged—Gather yourselves together unto the land of Zion..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:22) for the "...redemption of mine afflicted people..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:1)

This group, known as Zion's Camp, brought clothing and provisions to the expelled and destitute saints of Jackson County. Probably many of the camp thought their purpose would include physical violence to "redeem" Zion and were prepared to do so. But the true purpose of the camp becomes apparent when the Prophet received this revelation.

"...Behold, I have commanded my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., to say unto the strength of my house, even my warriors, my young men, and middle–aged, to gather together for the redemption of my people, and throw down the towers of mine enemies, and scatter their watchmen;
17 But the strength of mine house have not hearkened unto my words.
18 But inasmuch as there are those who have hearkened unto my words, I have prepared a blessing and an endowment for them, if they continue faithful.
19 I have heard their prayers, and will accept their offering; and it is expedient in me that they should be brought thus far for a trial of their faith." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:16 - 19)

14 For behold, I do not require at their hands to fight the battles of Zion; for, as I said in a former commandment, even so will I fulfil—I will fight your battles." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:13 - 14)

Though many thought the Lord's purpose was to fight, it becomes evident it was more of a test of faith and who would hearken to his words. Much like when Jahaziel the son of Zechariah prophesied -

"...Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.
16 To morrow go ye down against them: behold, they come up by the cliff of Ziz; and ye shall find them at the end of the brook, before the wilderness of Jeruel.
17 Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD with you..."
(Old Testament 2 Chronicles 20:15 - 17)

Jehoshaphat then provides this great counsel to his people -

"...Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper...." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 20:20)

It is to the members of this camp that the Lord teaches a humbling but enlightening doctrine -

"...There has been a day of calling, but the time has come for a day of choosing; and let those be chosen that are worthy.
36 And it shall be manifest unto my servant, by the voice of the Spirit, those that are chosen; and they shall be sanctified" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:35 - 36)

The Lord suggests three stages 1) the calling, 2) the choosing, and 3) the chosen.

The calling has been extended to all. Througout the scriptures, the Lord calls to "Come Follow Me".

The the burden of choosing is on us. "For thus saith the scripture: Choose ye this day, whom ye will serve." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:8) I believe choosing is the God given gift of agency.

Those that choose to abide by the Law of Christ and "...the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:5) become chosen "and they shall be sanctified" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 105:36)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home