Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

D&C 101

There is no question that the Lord loves us and wants to bless us, but he has also set the rules to receive his blessings -

'There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven..., upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 130:20 - 21)

"...For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:5)

The Lord reminds the Prophet that amongst the saints "...there were jarrings, and contentions, and envyings, and strifes, and lustful and covetous desires among them;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:6)

To which he explains -

"...They were slow to hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; therefore, the Lord their God is slow to hearken unto their prayers, to answer them in the day of their trouble.
8 In the day of their peace they esteemed lightly my counsel; but, in the day of their trouble, of necessity they feel after me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:7 - 8)

Can this be anymore straight forward. How can we expect the Lord's help in our day of trouble when we are slow to hearken to the counsel of modern-day prophets that may have protected from that very trouble. There is such a tendency that when things are good, we become very complacent in our obedience, but when thing are going wrong we wonder where the Lord is.

It reminds me of the story of the man who has slipped and fallen off a cliff. As he is falling, he prays that he will do anything if the Lord will save him from his impending death. Suddenly his shirt catches on a branch will miraculously stops his fall. Relieved, the man replies to the Lord to forget it, he has taken care of it himself.

Even though the Lord is slow to hearken to their prayers, he promises -

"...Verily I say unto you, notwithstanding their sins, my bowels are filled with compassion towards them. I will not utterly cast them off; and in the day of wrath I will remember mercy."
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:9)

For -

"I, the Lord, have suffered the affliction to come upon them, wherewith they have been afflicted, in consequence of their transgressions...
4 Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son.
5 For all those who will not endure chastening, but deny me, cannot be sanctified.
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:2 - 5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home