Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 06, 2005

D&C 93 - 94

The english language at times has different definitions for the same word. For example, in the 90th section, we read of the oracles of God. An oracle can mean a place of revelation, or a person who receives revelations, or the actual revelations themselves and each definition is closely related.

I feel it may be the same way with other words or terms used in the 93rd section of the Doctrine & Covenants as well in other sections in the book. We read words like Word, Spirit, Truth, Light, Intelligence, and others. I sense that in some cases the words refer to the entity and in others, that which eminates from the entity. I'm sure that at times it may be confusing but the reader must consider the context in how it is given. Nonetheless, the Lord reveals some of the great concepts in this section for the saints to ponder.

In this section we learn that the Savior is the firstborn of all our Father in Heavens spirit children. We learn from John that the Savior "...received a fulness of the glory of the Father;
17 And he received all power, both in heaven and on earth, and the glory of the Father was with him, for he dwelt in him." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:16 - 17) As the Savior said -

"...I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world;
3 And that I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one—
4 The Father because he gave me of his fulness..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:2 - 4)

John also tells us this "fulness" wasn't from the beginning for he -

"saw his glory, that he was in the beginning, before the world was;
8 Therefore, in the beginning the Word was, for he was the Word, even the messenger of salvation—
9 The light and the Redeemer of the world; the Spirit of truth, who came into the world, because the world was made by him, and in him was the life of men and the light of men.
10 The worlds were made by him; men were made by him; all things were made by him, and through him, and of him.
11 And I, John, bear record that I beheld his glory, as the glory of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth, even the Spirit of truth, which came and dwelt in the flesh, and dwelt among us." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:7 - 11)

And John testified that -

"...he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness;
14 And thus he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:13 - 14)

And as the Lord reveals this, he then turns the table to his saints and tells them -

"...I give unto you these sayings that you may understand and know how to worship, and know what you worship, that you may come unto the Father in my name... for if you keep my commandments you shall receive ... shall receive grace for grace." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:19 - 20)

And as we receive grace for grace he delivers the glorious promise -

"...and in due time...you shall receive of his fulness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:19 - 20)

And as the Savior also said "...if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 14:7)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home